Sunday, January 12, 2020

Tetanus

Yesterday as I was getting report (update of all the patients) from the off-going nurse I commented on how much I've learned and seen already. Things I would never see "back home". Diseases so horrifying and cruel that faces, images and families are burned in my mind forever. Diseases that have been all but eradicated through vaccination in more developed countries. Things, that sadly, due to willful ignorance I may actually have to see break hearts, families and bodies again"back home".
I mentioned that the only thing I feel like I haven't seen, and that I hope to never see (as it is one of the most gruesome and torturous diseases imaginable) was TETANUS.

That day I saw tetanus. I wish I never had. Torturous is the right word for it. It's easily contracted through the soil. Yes, even in the U.S. soil and that of other developed countries. Just a small cut, sometimes so small it goes unnoticed or thought of as insignificant is enough to the let the tetanus bacteria in where it releases toxins. Within days these neurotoxins cause a systemic infection causing every muscle in the body to wrench, tighten, twist, and contort. A person has the tell-tale "lock jaw" sign in which the muscles in their face and neck (and everywhere) are so stretched, and strained, and tight that one cannot open his mouth, the jaw is locked shut. The back muscles constrict so extremely the skeleton is bent painfully, unnaturally into an awkward, arching, twisted backbend that lifts the patient off the bed as they whimper and cry in torment. But even crying is hard because the face is so taught. I watched it happen.

Aside, from vaccinate immediately (playing catchup), treat with antibiotics (often for several weeks/months) and try to relax the muscles with drugs and give pain meds for the unearthly contortions (all of which help...some...but not enough to make it un-excruciating).

I will try to portray to you, very briefly, the image I keep seeing over and over. As we went to move the patient from the emergency stretcher to a hospital bed, his father slid his arms under his shoulders and under his knees as you would to normally carry a child who had fallen asleep up to bed. However, the patient was rigid, and not a little. There was no bend in his knees, no flopping of his head or falling of his arms to his sides as he was lifted. Rather he lifted as one straight-backed stone, arms bent harshly at 90 degrees, muscles so tight it kept his whole body as if it were only one very solid piece. All I could think of was that it looked like someone trying to carry a surfboard. Because of the awkward stiffness of the patients body, it took two other people to carry this frozen body to the bed.

DON'T write/speak/tell me anything about anti-vaxx anything. Just don't. 

No comments: