Friday, April 27, 2012

Ecuador day 1

Spent all morning walking around trying to find the orphanage with my pregnant sister-in-law, my nephew (3yrs old) and my niece (2yrs old). No one seemed to know where it was and our taxi driver didn’t want to look anymore so he let us out on the street to look ourselves. It was cold when we left, but as soon as we got out of the taxi the temperature rose and we were walking through bus exhaust with thick, hot, cloud-covered skies. 


Once we finally gave up, we got on a bus and immediately received a phone call with a tip as to where the orphanage was located, so we hopped right back off the bus. We even got an exact address, but no one seemed to know where the street was located. We were told someone was going to wait outside the orphanage to help us find it. Guess they gave up, or more likely didn’t wait very long, if at all. When we got there were spoke to a few different people. Eventually someone got on the intercom and told us to go to the church offices. We’re back home for lunch now and the sun just came out and the temperature moderated. Awesome :). The kids were troopers but I’m sure will sleep very good this afternoon.

I’m off to grab some lunch for myself and hopefully get a phone number for the church offices. If not, we’ll try to get an address and go see them.

This particular orphanage needs the most help but is unwilling to accept help from members of my faith, which seems to me a bit silly but everyone has their prejudices I suppose. Especially if they are in a great of need as it appears. Rumors, which is really all you get here, say this orphanage has been struggling and just got a new director and is in desperate need of pretty much everything.

No comments: